Skip to main content

WHY GOING BACK TO YOUR CHILDHOOD MARTIAL ART IS A BAD IDEA

WHY GOING BACK TO YOUR CHILDHOOD MARTIAL ART IS A BAD IDEA


I practiced judo as a child and teenager until the age of 13-14.
Lately, carried by all the martial arts videos, the influence of the MMA broadcasted, and all my fitness readings, came the idea of starting judo again. In fact, it's the result of a reflection with a friend. We thought how badass it would look if we had a black belt in judo. And totally by chance, we realized that we both did judo when we were teenagers and that we both stopped at the same belt: orange-green belt. After this one, there is the green, blue, brown and the famous black belt.

The experience:

The training started as in all combat sports: warm-up, repetition of movements and at the end of a judo lesson, there is a little sparring. So we did it with many others.

I wanted to try it with the teacher so that he could give me back the taste of judo. He was above the black belt: the red-white belt. So that means basically, this guy is a super judo master. Physically, he is not impressive: he is not very tall, about 1m70-75 maximum for about 90-100 kilos. He is about 45 to 50 years old, has excess fat and a round belly.
As expected, of course, he dominated me technically even though I am physically in much better shape: I am taller, younger, 1m84, 86 kilos, and a good bunch of muscles made in the gym. But on the other hand, he is a technical monster of judo and judo is well framed by its rules, we only fight within these rules - no percussion is allowed. I have a lot of trouble during this fight, but I still feel like a man and that doesn't take away my sense of humor.
At one point, he said to me, "So where is your youthful strength now?" And I thought he had a little humor too, so I replied by being compressed under his big belly "I can't beat 90 years of practice" and I felt that it had irritated him and that he wanted to give me a lesson for daring to do humor in an uncomfortable situation. Maybe I had bigger balls than him. Anyway, it was just humor for me.
A few seconds later, he blocked me with a technique and I thought we were going to take a break. So I relaxed a little and let off steam. Finally, he looks at me and surprises me with a strangulation technique by saying "Hey, you know this technique!!", and chokes me very hard for 3 seconds. It made him laugh a lot sadly. Then the fight stopped.  I really didn't appreciate that he did that when I thought we were taking a break. I think he didn't really like me because I made humor. That's the problem with people who have something to prove. But come on, man, you're a judo master, why prove anything to me about judo, I don't need it. Instead, it is a proof that you can be high in the hierarchy of a martial art and not be mentally wise. These are two totally different things.

Later, I trained with a black belt that started judo again too. I was honestly dominating him, I dropped him to the ground and immobilized him by a strangulation technique, but I didn't hurt him. It pissed him off a little bit, I guess. His black belt pride took a hit. Then I wanted to do a technique and he squeezed my arms, I pulled and I heard a crack in my shoulder.

I stopped the fight and put ice on it. Then it was the end of the lesson and we went home.
I ended up going to the emergency room and taking an X-ray because I was in too much pain to sleep. I don't have any fractures, that's something. But I actually have a joint issue to solve now. I can tell you that my shoulder hurts. The recovery is very long may necessite long cares. 
In the end, it wasn't really my opponent's fault on this one. But maybe if he had been a real experienced black belt, it wouldn't have happened.

Outcome:

So yes, this course was not a success with this injury. But even if I hadn't had these wounds, I wouldn't have come back to train in this dojo and I wouldn't have gone back to judo.
Let me explain:
This may be the case for many others. We played sports for several years of our lives and stopped them and never came back. Why?

Because we had consciously or unconsciously found the limit of this discipline in relation to our state of mind. We found it much smaller than our vision. We already found it restrictive.

I remembered why I had stopped judo: injuries were inevitable and the effectiveness of the techniques learned was not very useful in a real street fighting situation.

1. Judo is only effective in judo fights

The truth is that judo is very effective against another judoka with the rules of judo. Outside this context, it is very ineffective. Put a boxer or MMA fighter in front of a judoka in the street, on whom do you bet? 80/20 on the MMA/boxer. Obviously, reality has nothing to do with judo.
This is the first problem I find in judo: I can't use it in case of an attack. I need to punch in case of an attack, and judo has never helped with this.

2. Judo = injuries

The second problem is that injuries are inherent to the practice of this sport: fingers that bleed because of the grips on the kimono, dislocated shoulders, jumping knees and ankles, etc. and what for? For nothing, well... for judo. I am not one of those who give their lives to a combat sport.
Then what fighting sport could I do that would be really useful to me? in fact, I realized that none of them would be really useful to me. We are rarely in a combat situation and when we are, we fight anyway, with a combat background or without. I have a life to live: my girlfriend, my job, driving, fitness, holidays, investments. If I have injuries all the time, my life becomes very complicated to manage.

3. Judo does not make me grow anymore

Lastly, I believe that the values that this sport emanates no longer correspond to what I aspire to. I like to do things that are beyond me and fascinating. This is not the case for judo.
I practiced it 5 years of my life when I was younger: I took what I was interested in and carried on. Later in my life, I did 5 years of law school, I took what I was interested in and today if I have to study a subject, it will no longer be law. Otherwise, if I was really a law fan, I would have achieved a PhD. I feel that I have understood the limits of this subject, that I have a broader and more holistic vision.

So today, I'm trying to recommend good practices to myself. I think the best sport I can do today is fitness training. In case of fighting, if there were to be any, I would fight dirty (break nose, balls, eyes, strangulation, use of weapon, etc.)

Take care everyone.

Massimo Veneto


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Full body optimized workouts

Full body optimized workouts  This is a weekly routine composed of 3 workouts  optimized as much as possible for any man willing to put the effort.  Somehow you will see the number 7 appears regularly in the description of the routine. While describing its functionning and its effects, this symbolic number appeared many times. This workout has been elaborated considering last updates in fitness sciences . It will help you to pack on muscle, gain strength and shred fat in a minimal time in total safety.  The logic behind could be complicated to explain but the result is just a pure gold workout routine. Here you go. SEVEN Benefits:  1. Increase Testosterone 2. Decrease bodyfat 3. Increase strength 4. Pack on muscles everywhere 5. Balance your imbalances 6. Work your cardio and stamina 7. Energizing SEVEN Rules:  Rule #1: Pick a weight between 50% and 80% of your 3 rep max Rule #2: Everytime you repeat the routine, alternate between either raising weight by 2-5% or raising the number of